According to dictionary.com, the definition of "mother" is as follows . . .
1. a female parent.
2. (often initial capital letter) one's female parent.
3. a mother-in-law, stepmother, or adoptive mother.
4. a term of address for a female parent or a woman having or regarded as having the status, function, or authority of a female parent.
5. a term of familiar address for an old or elderly woman.
In its verb form, the word "mother" comes to life.
verb (with an object)
15. to be the mother of; give origin or rise to.
16. to acknowledge oneself the author of; assume as one's own.
17. to care for or protect like a mother; act maternally toward.
verb (used without object)
18. to perform the tasks or duties of a female parent; act maternally: a woman with a need to mother.
As women, the term "mother" affects us all whether through the fine examples set before us from our own mothers or our striving to be the mothers we always yearned for, whether through the mothering of our own children, chosen children, or nurturing animals in our homes, whether through "mom sandwiches" or the sponsorship of children, we are mothers.
Please check back with RUBY Magazine often as we celebrate the Month of the Mother with devotions, essays, interviews, and interest pieces devoted to the ideal of Mother. A special printed issue will be distributed after each Mother's Day service- 8, 9, and 10:30 a.m.- on May 12, 2013 at Troy United Methodist Church. Join us in worship and then share your copy of RUBY Magazine with someone. For the goal of RUBY Magazine is to connect all women through Him.