Monday, October 15, 2012

Connect with Tonnie Schalk



RUBY: How long have you attended Troy United Methodist Church?
Tonnie:  4 years

RUBY: What drew you to this church?
Tonnie:  Linda and Darrell Burnett, they are my husband’s adoptive parents.

RUBY: Which service do you typically attend?
Tonnie:  9 a.m. I have to hear Tim Price and the Praise Band to start my week.

RUBY: Share a favorite Bible verse and/or inspirational song, and why this is a favorite.
Tonnie:  My favorite song is, "What Faith Can Do" by Kutless. When I first heard the song, it was almost like it was written for me and what I had been going through at the time. Also there is a verse “Impossible is not a word/It’s just a reason For someone not to try.” Those are the exact words I have always told my boys. That and “can’t” is a bad word that I never want to hear them say.

RUBY: Tell us about your involvement at Troy UMC and/or the community.
Tonnie:  For two years, I taught the first and second graders on Wednesday night the Tru Story. Now I try to get involved anyway I can right now. I have been working a lot with Adrian Pratt our Director of Outreach and Recreation. Also have been having fun making desserts once a month for TGIW dinners.
Most recently I have been working with Tim Price on Ignition, really enjoying this as well. I love being involved and helping anyway I can.

RUBY: Tell us about your family.
Tonnie:  I have been married to my best friend, J.R. for 21 years now (we have been best friends ever since I was 12). We have two boys- Jack who is 16, a junior at Triad High School, and Jacob who is 13 and is in 7th grade at Troy Middle School. I couldn’t ask for a better family. . . love them so much.



RUBY: Tell us what you have learned about yourself from the Spiritual Gifts Discovery Class.  Any surprises?
Tonnie:  The biggest surprise was the great friends I made in Geneva Cushing, Carrie Cushing, Deb Inman and Courtney Winkler. These women are truly amazing; I am blessed to have them in my life.

RUBY: We all love to hear you laugh, so what makes you laugh the hardest?
Tonnie:  People tell me that a lot. I need to record my laugh sometime cause I don’t hear it. I try to laugh at everything, but Moose (my little nephew) who is almost 2-years-old now makes me laugh the most right now.

RUBY: How may we contact you in order to make a further connection?
EMAIL: tonnie1988@yahoo.com
CELL: 618-444-5710

No comments:

Post a Comment