Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Overload

I came to a not-so-shocking conclusion about myself today.  I overload everything.  I overload the sink full of dishes until the task seems overwhelming.  I overload the washing machine until I can smell the belt burning and it finally breaks.  I overload the dryer with clothes, and then complain that it takes 2 hours to dry a load of clothes.  I overload the laundry hampers procrastinating about doing laundry for as long as possible, thus making myself miserable when it cannot be put off any longer.  And then there's my life.  I overload us with things to do, places to go, people to see.  I am on overload in every aspect of my life.
As I was unloading the dryer today and realized how fast a load of clothes dried because I did not have it overloaded, it occurred to me what effect overloading does to my spiritual life.  When I overload my physical life, social life, home life, things can get very bad very fast.  Usually we are all tense with each other, and all of the "fun" is sucked right out of whatever I have overloaded us with.  And my spiritual life suffers tremendously when I overload every other aspect of my life and make no room for my spiritual life.  So today, I'm committing to try to stop being an overloader.  I'm going to focus on my spiritual life first and fill in the rest later. 

Matthew 11:28  “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.


I think this applies to those of us who are overloaded.  Give it all to the Lord, and He will give you rest. 

 

Lisa Powell

No comments:

Post a Comment