Saturday, May 4, 2013

Happy Cinco de Mayo Day!


So, my eldest squirt completed her treasure map behavior chart.  The result of which equals an activity/outing of her choosing.  Knowing Cinco de Mayo, a celebration of Mexican pride and heritage, was right around the corner, she opted for a day of eating nothing but Mexican delicacies.  Immediately, she put Taco Bell (authentic Mexican need not be a requirement) on the list for lunch so that she may divulge in their soft tacos.  One less meal to cook . . . sounds good to me!  For breakfast, we discussed the possibility of Huevos Rancheros, but today she is convinced she does not like eggs even though she fed herself eggs by the handful as a toddler.  So, together we Googled and came across a recipe for Homemade Donuts with Mexican Chocolate Sauce.  Not a huge fan of cinnamon myself which the recipe calls for, I knew I could overlook this if my donut were doused with enough chocolate sauce.  Oh yeah, come to Momma!

Prioritizing the recipe, the chocolate sauce came first . . .


Not having enough cocoa powder (since I decided to quadruple the recipe), I substituted carob powder, and the result was delicioso!  















Next came the mixing of the donut batter. . .


Since no picture accompanied the recipe, I was flying blind.  The batter seemed thin, but I had followed the measurements and was afraid to compensate so I just went for it and proceeded to fry the batter.  What ensued may have been a happy mistake.  Although the donuts did not maintain a ball shape, the fried finale looked like Little People-sized sombreros.  After allowing the donuts to drain on a paper towel, the squirts then sprinkled them with cinnamon sugar.



Finally, time to wrap the goodies to give away to Sunday school teachers in celebration of Cinco de Mayo as well as a thank you in honor of Teacher Appreciation Week.


Courtney Winkler

2 comments:

  1. you are so awesome! I love how you are always giving and teaching your girls to share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Woman! xoxo

    ReplyDelete