Saturday, March 30, 2013

Dannette's Devotional

Then, because so many people were coming and going 
that they did not even have a chance to eat, he said to them, 
"Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest."
Mark 6:31
 
This is what the Sovereign LORD, the Holy One of Israel, says: 
"In repentance and rest is your salvation, 
in quietness and trust is your strength, 
but you would have none of it.
Isaiah 30:15 
 
 
God spoke to me in Africa. Thousands of miles from home, I stood on the sidelines while the kid magnets in our group of Compassion sponsors played with 300 energetic children in the hot Ugandan sunshine. As I wondered what to do, a tiny hand grasped mine. The young girl wasn't seeking conversation or play; she was content to be near me. Her touch transcended the barriersof language and culture. As we held hands and watched the playing children,peace poured over my soul. I felt God whispering, "Be still, and know that I am God." Here at home, it's harder to hear God's voice. With my overcommitted life, I spend much more time doing than being. Long hours at work, too many "to dos" in my free time, and the magnetic pull of smartphone messages at all hours make it difficult to find quiet time and hear God's voice. Francesca Battistelli sings it well: "In the middle of my little mess, I forget how big I'm blessed..." The enemy enjoys distracting us from hearing God's voice. I am slowly learning that silence helps quiet my soul and strengthen me for those distractions. When I remember this truth, I drive for a few minutes without the radio, put the smartphone away, or simply take a few quiet moments to bask in God's goodness as I'm walking to my next meeting. Quiet helps me remember "how big I'm blessed" and when I focus on God's goodness, life doesn't seem so messy.
 
Dannette McKellar 

No comments:

Post a Comment