Monday, November 18, 2013

Seek and You Shall Find

With minimal grading to do, I had no excuse not to walk for an hour today determined to hit the 10,000 step mark on my FitBit.  So, after dropping the girls at school, cashing checks at the bank, and purchasing fun patches at the Girl Scout office, I headed to SIUE Gardens, one of my favorite places to walk.  Not only is there a paved path, but there is also a trail hidden in the woods in which one may walk.  I plugged my headphones into my cellphone, hit "play" on Pandora, and set the timer for sixty minutes.  At roughly the twenty minute mark, the little girl's room was calling.  So, I visited the facility adjacent to the trail and then resumed my steps. 

With a mere three minutes left on the countdown, I headed back to the car.  Seated in the driver's seat, I adjusted myself so as to read my FitBit readout when, much to my surprise, it was missing from the waist of my stretch pants.  Ugh!  Thanks to woman blessing, Sherri Volz, I connected my steps to Walgreens balance rewards, and my thought was, I will never be able to earn points.  A tad frantic, I retraced my steps beginning with the path.  Passing an older gentleman, I stopped and asked if he had seen a lime green FitBit.  He told me, "My eyesight is shot," so I thanked him for his help and kept walking.  Over the river and through the woods I went to no avail all the while thinking, "My hub is not going to dig my losing yet another electrical device."  Two cellphones met the electronic graveyard due to my leaving them on top of my car and then driving away.  In fact, the hub found one in the form of roadkill at the entrance to our subdivision.  So, losing this FitBit after only three weeks was not going to fair well.  In a final attempt at recovery, I revisited the restroom near the parking lot.  On the floor beneath the sink lay the object in question.  Eureka, Baby!  Of course, forty minutes of the sixty I had walked did not register since the FitBit had disengaged from by body.  Bummah!  All of that walking had been for naught. . . or had it?  I felt better, and even though I could not prove my steps, I knew they had been taken.

Driving home with a smirk on my face, I thought of a favorite song, Seek and You Shall Find, I used to sing while in my parochial school choir.  As a tween, I would belt out the words to this song as if I could sing on key.  Miss Bowden would have us sing this song year after year in rounds.  Perhaps, there was a method to her orchestrations, one I have held in my heart all of these years.

Matthew 7:7 
"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

By Courtney Winkler

No comments:

Post a Comment