Thursday, June 20, 2013

How Satan Used Burned Chicken

 
 
Tonight was another game night.  We've had games every night this week between our two girls, so suppers have been quick so we could get out the door.  Tonight was no exception.  I had bought 10 lbs. of chicken leg quarters on a really good sale at our local grocery store and had thawed them during the day.  When my husband got home early from work, he offered to grill the chicken for me.  Great.  I had had a really long day with our 3-year-old, and I welcomed the chance to sit for a minute in blessed silence while he started supper.   He asked for help getting the chicken ready to put on the grill.  Again, no problem.  He took the chicken out to the grill, and we were good to go....or so we thought.  I just mention that we just got a new grill a couple of weeks ago and are still getting used to how to set the temperature, etc.  About 10 minutes after he had placed the chicken on the grill, my husband comes in the house and tells me that all of the chicken is ruined.  He turned all 3 burners on high, like he used to do with our old grill, and the temperature got up to 700 degrees inside the oven and totally burned all of the chicken.  I mean, total charcoal, no saving it, no nothing. 
And here's where Satan comes in.  We immediately start fighting about the chicken.  I mean fighting.  Screaming, yelling, blaming, you name it.  It wasn't pretty.  I'm not proud of it, just trying to be real people.  And we didn't let up.  Satan really got to me too.  I was thinking extremely negative thoughts about my husband.  Totally ludicrously stupid thoughts.  THAT'S how you know it's Satan!  When something like that pops into your head that you think later "Why would THAT even be there?"  It's probably Satan!  Satan had my husband and I really fighting this awful fight over BURNED CHICKEN!  We had let this happen.  Only much later could I look back and realize what had happened.  Did I really care about the dang chicken?  No way.  Was I frustrated that we had very little time to make anything else before the game sure, but it was not something we should have fought about.  But Satan knew that he could use burned chicken to get us to fight, to think thoughts about each other that no married couple should ever think.  OVER BURNED CHICKEN!

John 10:10 says "The thief (Satan) comes ONLY to steal and kill and destroy." 
John 8:44 says "When he (Satan) lies, it is consistent with his character; for he is a liar and the father of lies."


Don't let Satan use petty things like BURNED CHICKEN to cause problems in your marriage.  I am going to try to be more aware of this the next time something like this pops up in our marriage because I'm sure it will.  But next time, I'm going to try to be ready to recognize what the cause of our problem is and refuse to let Satan get his way with our marriage. 

Lisa Powell

No comments:

Post a Comment