Saturday, January 18, 2014

The Mix "Tape"


We finally ditched DirecTV for $8/month Netflix.  Out of the hundreds of channels available on our previous satellite provider, there never seemed to be much of anything on in the way of quality viewing.  Sure, we watched people make moonshine out in the woods, but did we honestly need to know how this process works?  Yes, I learned how to incorporate a gummy skeleton into a dessert dish in only twenty minutes, but I do not think I have to worry about repeating this in my own kitchen.  Taking all of this into account and combining it with the rising costs of satellite channels and the increasing quantity of commercials, it was a decision we have not regretted to date.

Luckily, this change occurred over Christmas break, so we were able to become fully acclimated to this new form of viewing on demand minus commercials.  Moving the treadmill in front of the television, I have now actually walked on it while watching the series Lost.  Okay, I was hooked at the beginning and then ended up watching just to see what finally happens.  What ensued was a philosophical look at death, the afterlife, and the true necessities needed for survival.  Scavenging from the suitcases of airplane passengers, one male "survivor" found a cassette tape and showed it to a fellow female "survivor" with whom he had a flirtatious relationship.  The female response was, "Is this my mix tape?" which, in turn, brought a smile to my face and a flood of memories from the past.  I then sought the hub out and asked if we had ever created a mix tape which represented our love, and we agreed we had not.

Fast forward a couple of days, and I found a cd sticking out of my cd player in the mom van.  I figured it was the girls' dance cd, put it in, and thought nothing more of it.  Later, the hub asked if I liked my surprise, and he informed me that said cd was made for me.  Thus, the reasoning behind the love message written on the outside of the cd which I had not seen.  Now, the songs placed on the cd make sense to me.

While at the stoplight in my sweats and pink breast cancer awareness coat, you will probably see me rocking out to Nelly's Hot in Here (so take off all your clothes) or Ice Cube's You Can Do It (put your back into it) with the hugest grin on my face knowing my hub took the time to make this "mix tape" just for me.

So, I vow to have the thirteen-year-old neighbor show me how to burn a cd or rip mp3s (correct lingo?) so that I, too, can show my love for the hub through music for Valentine's Day.

By Courtney Winkler

No comments:

Post a Comment