Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Connect with Debbie Rakers


RUBY: How long have you attended Troy United Methodist Church?

Debbie:  27 years

RUBY: What drew you to this church?

Debbie:  I was looking for people to talk to. I went to another church that no one spoke or introduced themselves, and I had gone there for about 2 years. And when I walked in the doors here for the first time, a very special lady came up and introduced herself and made me feel like this was home. I will be forever grateful to her, because it was here that I found Jesus Christ as my Savior and Lord.

RUBY: Which service do you typically attend?

Debbie:  I usually go to the 10:30 service, but I attend a Sunday school class at 9:15 am, and I listen to and sing the first few songs of the 9:00 am service before going to my class.

RUBY: Share a favorite Bible verse and/or inspirational song, and why this is a favorite.

Debbie:  My cousin from California sang beautiful Christian songs, and when we were out there on a visit in 1991, my uncle gave us a tape of her singing. My daughter, my niece and I sang those songs all the way home. One of them wasThe Battle Belongs to the Lord.
I also love the song “How Great Thou Art” and each time I hear it now I cry, because we played it at my mom’s funeral as she had requested, and I still miss her.
A Bible verse that inspires me is Phil 4:13 – I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.


RUBY: Tell us about your involvement at Troy UMC and/or the community.

Debbie:  Along with Heather Walker, I have been involved with the Methodist Missionaries for Christ (M&M’s 4 Christ) which is what they named themselves . They were the 5th and 6th graders, and they love to do mission work for the Lord. It was changed this year, but I know that we will be doing many more things because God is still in control and though it involves a wider range in ages (K-12th grades), they continue to ask about it and want to remain strong in it. We will be taking them again to the Midwest Mission Distribution Center in Chatham in June. I have been on quite a few mission trips in the past, and I am currently serving on the Mission team. I also help out with the junior high on Wednesday nights. I truly love the brothers and sisters in Christ that I have come to know over the years and the new ones I meet every day. When we had vacation bible school in the evenings, I helped out there. I have been a part of the United Methodist Women.

RUBY: What's the best piece of advice anyone has ever given you?

Debbie:  From the BibleTrust in the Lord with all you heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight.

RUBY: What was your favorite game you played as a child, and why?

Debbie:  I think that would be Scrabble… still love to play that game because it helps keep your mind thinking.


RUBY: Tell us about your family.

Debbie:  I am married to Doren Rakers. We have known each other since high school, and after taking many different paths and going through many different struggles we both ended up in Troy and made the choice to marry making Christ the center of our marriage for nearly 14 years now. God has been so good to us.
My daughter Cassie and her husband Billy have given us 3 wonderful grandchildren - Simone, Sophie and Britton. Dorens daughter Pam and husband Dave have given us a beautiful granddaughter - Isla. They live in Colorado. His son Doug and wife Rowan who currently are in Ft. Irwin, California have also given us 3 fantastic grandchildren - Aiden, Chloe and Lucas.

RUBY: How may we contact you in order to make a further connection?

My email is dordeb55@aol.com
My cell number is 618-830-2813. I do accept texts, but don’t like to have texting conversations.
My home number is 618-667-3261.
I do have a Facebook page.

I try to check my email and facebook every day, but sometimes just don’t have the time, so calling is best for immediate response.





No comments:

Post a Comment